INS 452E Computer Aided Analysis in Structural Engineering
Determination of internal forces of some statically determinate systems, programming of matrix operations with convenient algorithms, programming and comparison of solution methods of linear simultaneous equations, stiffness coefficients of beams with variable cross-sections, design of reinforced concrete cross-sections, computation of the buckling and dynamic characteristics of straight elements, computer applications on trusses, frames and grillages, the use of structural analysis programs.
Notes for 2015-Fall Semester
- Due to new developments in Structural Engineering, the format of the course will be updated slightly,
although we will follow the content of the catalog form.
- MATLAB, VB.NET, Java and Excel VBA will be encouraged to be used as the programming languages rather than FORTRAN.
- Focus will be given to writing a code for static and dynamic analysis of a 2D frame using stiffness method.
Because stiffness method is very straightforward with MATLAB, no prior knowledge on the method is required; it will be taught in the class.
Programming for this type of problem is generally very simple with MATLAB.
Static analysis portion can be completed in 3-4 weeks at most.
Dynamic analysis portion can be completed in 1-2 weeks at most.
- Interested students will be given other programming tasks such as
section analysis of reinforced concrete members, nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete members,
plate elements and etc. Again, programming for these problems are generally very simple in MATLAB.
- In parallel to the main programming tasks,
well known analysis programs, SAP2000, ETABS, SAFE and ABAQUS will be taught throughout the semester.
Interested students will be taught linking MATLAB, VB.NET, Excel VBA to SAP and ETABS through API.
- While learning and programming in MATLAB is easy,
only students who have interest and skills in programming should take this course.
In fact, if the student has interest and skills in programming, required programming will only take several weeks to complete.
- The students will be only responsible from 2D frame analysis and other catalog tasks as time allows.
Other topics are for interested students only.
- Tentatively, the exams and finals will be based on the programs written.
- Currently, there are many books for this course (especially, Structural Analysis with MATLAB).
They can be downloaded from ITU library. Most of these books include the codes for structural analysis in MATLAB.
- In overall, this course can be considered as "easy" with moderate amount of work load.
- Stiffness Formulation for a Frame Element [PDF]
- Summary of Stiffness Method [PDF]