Address: Istanbul Technical University (ITU)
Phone: +90 212 285 35 66
Wireless Communications, 4G/5G Wireless Networks, Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) Systems, Space-Time Coding, Cooperative Communications,
I am looking for motivated M.Sc. and Ph.D. students.
Open Positions: TUBITAK 1001 Research Project Assistantship
Project Title: Novel Media-Based Modulation System Design
Project Duration: 30 months
Salary: 2.500 TL (for Ph.D. students), 2.200 TL (for M.Sc. students)
1) Strong background in digital communications, wireless communications, MATLAB programming, and probability theory.
2) In-preparation/submitted/accepted IEEE journal/conference publication(s).
3) Acceptance to the ITU Telecommunications Engineering Ph.D./M.Sc. Programme (Fall 2018)
Interested candidates should send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent News (2018-2016):
* February 2018: Our Special Section Index Modulation Techniques for Next-Generation Wireless Networks at IEEE Access has been closed with a record of 23 accepted articles. [Editorial]
* February 2018: We have received a new TUBITAK-1001 Grant for the period of 2018-2021.
* January 2018: Our new Special Issue on Radio Access Technologies for Beyond 5G Wireless Networks at Physical Communication (Elsevier) is now accepting submissions. [CFP] Submission Deadline: 1 August 2018. Guest Editorial Team: Ertugrul Basar, Huseyin Arslan, Yue Xiao.
* January 2018: Our new Special Issue on Energy Harvesting & Wireless Power Transfer at MDPI Technologies is now accepting submissions.[CFP]
* July 2017: I have joined the Editorial Board of Physical Communication (Elseiver) as an Editor. [PHYCOM]
* July 2017: Our first patent (MIMO-OFDM-IM Communications System) has been published: WO/2017/026965, US 20170180032 A1 [PDF]
* May 2017: Our first journal paper on visible light communications (VLC) & Journal version of our award-winning ICC 2016 paper:
* March 2017: I have received the title of Associate Professor (Doçent) from ÜAK.
* February 2017: Our Special Section Index Modulation Techniques for Next-Generation Wireless Networks at IEEE Access is accepting submissions.
* November 2016: Upcoming talks at 3rd ASELSAN HBT Workshop, Ankara, Turkey on index modulation techniques
* October 2016: Accepted book chapter: Index Modulation: A Promising Technique for 5G and Beyond Wireless Networks,
* June 2016: I have joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Communıcatıons Letters as an Associate Editor. [IEEE CL]
* May 2016: I have joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Access as an Associate Editor. [IEEE Access]
* April 2016: My first tutorial paper has been accepted to IEEE Communications Magazine. [PDF]
* March 2016: I have elevated to IEEE Senior Member grade.
* February 2016: I gave a keynote speech at South China University of Technology (SCUT), Guangzhou, China.
* January 2016: I attended to 5G Private Partnership (5GPPP) InfoDay in Brussels, Belgium.
For more: https://twitter.com/ertugrul_basar
2014-2017 Assistant Professor, ITU, Electronics and Communication Engineering Department
2011-2012 Visiting Student Research Collaborator, Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University
2009-2014 Research & Teaching Assistant, ITU, Electronics and Communication Engineering Department
2009-2013 Ph.D., Electronics&Communication Engineering Department, Istanbul Technical University (Advisor: Prof. Ümit Aygölü)
2011-2012 Visiting Student Research Collaborator in Electrical Engineering, Princeton University (Advisor: Prof. H. Vincent Poor)
2009 M.Sc., Electronics&Communication Engineering Department., Istanbul Technical University (Advisor: Prof. Ümit Aygölü)
2007 B.Sc., Electrical&Electronics Engineering Department, Istanbul University.
2003 Istanbul Kabatas Erkek Lisesi
* The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, 1001 - 114E607: Cooperative Spatial Modulation Systems
* The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, COST 2515 - 113E307: MIMO-OFDM Based Visible Light Communications
* Scientific Research Projects of Istanbul Technical University: 5G+: Techniques for 5G and Beyond Wireless Communications Systems
* Istanbul Development Agency (ISTKA): Optical Wireless Communications Perfection Center
* 2017: Turkish Academy of Sciences (TÜBA) - Outstanding Young Scientist Award Programme (GEBİP)
* 2017: IEEE Turkey Research Encouragement Award
* 2017: Best Graduation Project Award (Advisor), Electrical Engineers Branch of Turkey (EMO)
* 2017: IEEE ComSoc Turkey Best Student Paper Award (Co-author), SIU 2017
* 2016: Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2016)
* 2014: Best Ph.D. Thesis of the Year Award, Istanbul Technical University
* 2012: Best Paper of the Year Award, Electrical Engineers Branch of Turkey (EMO)
* 2009: Best Student Paper Award, 17th Signal Processing and Telecommunication Applications Conference (SİU 2009)
* 2007: B.Sc. degree with honors, Istanbul University
* M.Sc., Z. Yigit, 2017: Novel Quadrature Spatial Modulation Techniques for Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Communication Systems.
* E. Basar, Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing with Index Modulation, PCT Patent Publication Number: WO/2017/026965, Publication Date: Feb. 2017, US Patent Publication Number: US 20170180032 A1, Publication Date: June 2017. [WIPO Patentscope] [pdf]
* E. Basar, I. Altunbas Space-Time Channel Modulation (pending), PCT Patent Application Number: PCT/TR2016/050353, Application Date: Sep. 2016.
* E. Basar, Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing with Index Modulation, MIMO-OFDM-IM System (pending), Turkish Patent Institute (TPE), File No: 2015/09964, Application date: Aug. 2015.
* Associate Editor, IEEE Communıcatıons Letters , 2016-...
* Associate Editor, IEEE Access , 2016-
* Editor, Physical Communication (Elsevier) , 2017-
* Lead Guest Editor, Physical Communication (Elsevier), Special Issue: Radio Access Technologies for Beyond 5G Wireless Networks, 2018.
* Guest Editor, MDPI Technologies, Special Issue: Energy Harvesting & Wireless Power Transfer, 2018.
* Lead Guest Editor, IEEE Access, Special Section: Index Modulation Techniques for Next-Generation Wireless Networks, 2017.
* Manuscript Editor, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, 2016.
* IEEE Transactıons on Communıcatıons
* IEEE Transactıons on Wıreless Communıcatıons
* IEEE Communıcatıons Letters
* IEEE Wıreless Communıcatıons Letters
* IEEE Journal on Selected Areas ın Communıcatıons
* IEEE Communıcatıons Magazıne
* IEEE Wıreless Communıcatıons Magazıne
* IEEE Communıcatıons Standards Magazıne
* IEEE Transactıons on Vehıcular Technology
* IEEE Sıgnal Processıng Letters
* IEEE Journal of Selected Topıcs ın Sıgnal Processıng
* IEEE Transactıons on Multımedıa
* IEEE Access
* IEEE/OSA Journal of Lıgthwave Technology
* IEEE Photonıcs Journal
* IEEE Systems Journal
* IEEE Transactıons on Mobıle Computıng
* IET Communications
* Electronics Letters (IET)
* Physical Communication (Elsevier)
* AEÜ - International Journal of Electronics and Communications (Elsevier)
* Wiley Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies
* Wiley International Journal of Communication Systems
* Wiley Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing
* KICS Journal of Communications and Networks
* EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking
* EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing
* Springer Annals of Telecommunications
* Springer Wireless Networks
* China Communications
* Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences
* MDPI Information
* Journal of Communications
* SAIEE Africa Research Journal
* Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) & IEEE Communications Society
Technical Program Committee (TPC) Membership:
* The Fourteenth International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications (ICWMC 2018), July 2018.
* 6th International Black Sea Conference on Communications and Networking (BlackSeaCom), Batumi, Georgia, June 2018.
* 25th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT 2018), Saint Malo, France, June 2018.
* The 24th European Wireless (EW) 2018, Catania, Italy, May 2018.
* 2018 IEEE 87th Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2018-Spring, Porto, Portugal, May 2018.
* IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2017), Singapore, Dec. 2017.
* 2017 IEEE/CIC International Conference on Communications in China (ICCC), Qingdao, China, Oct. 2017.
* 2017 IEEE 86th Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2017-Fall, Toronto, Canada, Sep. 2017.
* 22nd IEEE International Symposium on Computer and Communications (ISCC 2017), Heraklion, Crete, July 2017.
* 5th International Black Sea Conference on Communications and Networking (BlackSeaCom), Istanbul, Turkiye, June 2017.
* 24rd International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT 2017), Limassol, Cyprus, May 2017.
* 25th IEEE Conference on Signal Processing and Communications Applications (SİU 2017), Antalya, Turkey, May 2017.
* 2016 IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2016-Spring, Nanjing, China, May 2016.
* 23rd International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT 2016), Thessaloniki, Greece, May 2016.
* 2016 IEEE 84rd Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2016-Fall, Montreal, Canada, Sep. 2015.
Organization of Special Sessions:
* Special Session on Visible Light Communications, 4th International Black Sea Conference on Communications and Networking, Varna, Bulgaria, Jun. 2016.
* 5G and Beyond Wireless Communications Techniques, 2016 IEEE Conference on Signal Processing and Communications Applications (SIU 2016), Zonguldak, May 2016.
Invited Seminars and Presentations:
* Index Modulation Techniques for 5G Wireless Networks, 3rd ASELSAN Workshop on Communications Technologies, Ankara, Turkey, Nov. 2016.
* MIMO-OFDM System Design for Visible Light Communications Systems, 3rd ASELSAN Workshop on Communications Technologies, Ankara, Turkey, Nov. 2016.
* Index Modulation Techniques for 5G Wireless Networks, Outstanding Scholar's Forum from Home and Abroad, South China University of Technology (SCUT), Guangzhou, China, Feb. 2016.
* Index Modulation Techniques for 5G Wireless Networks, 5G Private Partnership InfoDay, Brussels, Belgium, Jan. 2016.
* Cooperative Communications, Alcatel-Lucent R&D Talks, Istanbul, Turkey, Mar. 2015.
Prof. Basar was born in Üsküdar, İstanbul in 1985 and is a native of Şavşat, Artvin. He served for the Turkish Military as a third lieutenant in 2013-2014.
- Best LaTeX editor ever (TexStudio) : http://texstudio.sourceforge.net/
- MikTeX 2.9 : http://miktex.org/2.9/setup
- The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List : http://ctan.mackichan.com/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf
- IEEE LaTeX class file : http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/IEEEtran/
Last Update: February, 2018.